3-4 servings 100% whole wheat angel hair pasta*
1 head cauliflower**
2 cups chicken broth (you can make your own using bullion)
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt***
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pasta water reserved from making pasta
1 green pepper
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1. Boil chopped cauliflower and zucchini in broth for 15 minutes. While cauliflower and zucchini is boiling sauté garlic and onions in butter in a large skillet.
2. Add garlic, onions, cauliflower, zucchini, broth, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to blender and blend until completely smooth.
3. Once it is completely smooth stream in olive oil. If mixture is too thick to turn through the blender easily add more water or broth. While cauliflower is blending cook pasta according to directions. Save pasta water to use later.
4. Sauté chopped peppers and mushrooms and then add cherry tomatoes sliced in half.
5. Pour the cauliflower mixture into the large skillet with sautéd peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Add the cream and cook over low heat. Add pasta water to thin and keep warm until ready to serve.
*If you are trying to get your family to eat whole wheat pasta start with angel hair. It is so thin that the texture difference isn't as noticeable. My favorite brand is honestly Western Family.
**Boil your cauliflower for at least 15 minutes with the lid off. The longer it boils the smoother the sauce.
***Don't use any salt if you are making your broth from bullion